I don’t remember where I first saw that phrase– Phantom Scribbler, probably? But it’s a great way to cram a bunch of tidbits into one post, so here goes:
* The girls’ birthday party was a smash hit, which you know if you saw the 50-plus pictures I uploaded on Facebook this weekend! They made cat mummies and sarcophagi, toured the museum, ate grapes, strawberries, Funfetti cupcakes and brownies, and generally had a blast.
* My girls are now officially bikers! They got their first bikes and have already really enjoyed wheeling around– it’s made me a bit nervous though, because urban biking is very different from the rural/suburban biking I did as a kid.
* Saturday, my sister and I tagged along with a middle-school field trip my sister chaperones every year and we got to see the current revival of West Side Story. My mother had seen the original production on Broadway in 1961, but I’d only seen the movie, and this production was fantastic.
* We took a very smooth bus ride to NYC, so I got to finish a book I’d been reading, American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer. I had been rereading David McCullough’s Truman, and it was interesting to see how the two books intersected, and this Oppenheimer biography was incredibly well-done. It was a little disconcerting to put the book down, however, and see rumblings about North Korea and nuclear possibilities. It was tragic to think about the chilling effects Oppenheimer’s life had on the idea of the scientist as public intellectual, an ideal that certainly hasn’t been better served in American in recent decades.
* I’m excited about Sotomayor’s nomination– as a replacement for Souter, I think she’s a good choice, and I’d be more surprised if Obama had picked the uber-liberal some people seemed to have wished he’d chosen. He’s not an uber-liberal himself, so I didn’t expect him to nominate one, and she seems eminently qualified and certainly intriguing.
* I’ve been tinkering with the blog some, which you may have noticed if you read the site itself, but for those of you who use a feed-reader, I’ll be posting about it soon. I’ll also be posting some newish career news soon, which may turn into a string of related posts. I know that kind of sucked as a cliffhanger, but that’s all I got .
* I’m really liking this new PJ Harvey collaboration, which is funny because PJ hasn’t been on my radar since high school probably, since I really liked this song and that whole album. My time with PJ began, of course, with 50 ft Queenie, so it’s been nice to see her evolve and stay fascinating.