This may surprise you, but in many ways, Mayim Bialik and I have nothing in common.
She has two boys, I have two girls. She is devotedly Jewish, I am agnostic. She is vegan, I’m an omnivore who loves bacon. She practices attachment parenting, I do not, though I do appreciate some of the sentiments and techniques involved. She is recently divorced, I am married. She has a PhD in neuroscience, my degrees involved studying rock music and movies about teenagers. She is a famous television actress, I am…..not. She’s met Bette Midler and is currently nominated for an Emmy. Need I go on?
And yet….and yet. We’re both mothers. We’re both writers. We’re roughly the same generation. We both love to cook. We both have our children at the centers of our lives but also relish our satisfying careers.
I think that juxtaposition, between what we share and what we don’t, is what keeps me fascinated by her blog, which is hosted at Kveller, a site about Jewish parenting and family life. She writes honestly and lovingly about her struggles and triumphs as a parent, how she chooses an Emmy dress while staying true to her faith, and how she makes it through each day, with humor and grace.
The best personal blogs manage to make you feel like you know the writer, and Mayim does a fantastic job; she comes across as a three-dimensional woman you might run into while jogging or shopping (for organic produce, of course), and I am always sure that she will navigate her life with authenticity and feeling. The way Mayim has chosen to share her life so publicly shows what a new era of celebrity we are in, and I know she appreciates being able to control her image at least a little bit in a way that feel true to her personality and faith.
- Mayim Bialik Connects Veganism and Judaism (ecorazzi.com)
- Mayim Bialik on divorce blogging, the ‘cathartic’ process of Jewish divorce (upi.com)
- Mayim Bialik: Attachment Parenting Is Not To Blame For My Divorce (huffingtonpost.com)
- ‘Big Bang Theory’ Star Mayim Bialik’s Surprising On-Set Ritual (huffingtonpost.com)
- Mayim Bialik: Sons Are Doing Well, Post Divorce (abcnews.go.com)
- Mayim Bialik Hopes Divorce Blogs Help Other Women (contactmusic.com)