This year has been a tough year, for both personal and professional reasons, and a great part of that is because the health issues I blogged about in September have continued to overshadow my life. I did start treatment for my thyroid disorder, but it took me awhile to get into the routine of taking the medication regularly, and the process can be slow-acting in general. So I swallowed it every morning, and kept my fingers crossed that soon I would be feeling more like myself. But I still felt like I was moving in slow motion, I still felt exhausted no matter how much sleep I got, and my thought processes were still partly cloudy, every day.
When that hadn’t happened, I decided it was time to investigate further. I went back to my endocrinologist, who ran another series of tests, which turned up a vitamin D deficiency. Once I got the test results back, I started taking an over-the-counter supplement, as vitamin D is difficult to augment through diet alone (though I will be adding more fish to my diet, and trying to get out in the sun more often).
And friends, I feel good! I feel more alert and clear-minded than I have in such a long time, and when I wake up, I feel rested, instead of groggy and exhausted. I feel so much more capable and cheerful, so much more able to handle whatever the day may throw at me.Until I started feeling better, I didn’t quite realize how much my weariness, mind and body, had been taking a toll on me. Between this deficiency and my Hashimoto’s diagnosis, I think my mysterious health issues have been solved, and what a relief that is. I’m so thankful to have some answers, to have health insurance and excellent health care, and to have solutions readily available. I’m also grateful to myself, for listening to my body and taking steps to get back to where I once belonged.
More posts ahead, about recipes, dishwashers, and National Poetry Month; thanks for sticking around, and as always, thanks for listening.
- Vitamin D deficiency: Has this long, cold winter left your levels dangerously low? (mirror.co.uk)
- Why do you need Vitamin D? (redcarrotwellness.wordpress.com)
- The 10 symptoms of vitamin D deficiency you need to recognize (talesfromthelou.wordpress.com)
- Soak up some sun (thehindu.com)
- Study reveals potential immune benefits of vitamin D supplements in healthy individuals (eurekalert.org)
- Study Reveals Potential Immune Benefits Of Vitamin D Supplements In Healthy Individuals (medicalnewstoday.com)